Vegetables That Boost Metabolism
Before we get into the topic of Vegetables That Boost Metabolism. I would like to briefly discuss what metabolism is on a basic level. Now I realize that most of you already know the answer, so this will not take long.
So without getting to scientific on the matter of metabolism. It is basically looked upon as the sum of all chemical reactions that occur with in a living organism.
However to most of us every day people, metabolism is more often thought of as the energy that we use for our daily activities. And also the way in which our bodies burn and/or use calories.
Here’s The Skinny About Metabolism
While the fact of the matter is, your genetics play the primary role in determining your metabolism. There are ways in which you can help speed your bodies metabolism up. In fact all of us do have some control over our metabolism, and it is simpler than you think.
Our ability to maintain a good metabolism comes in the form of our diet and our activity level. While diet does play a major role, you will not be able to lose weight or maintain a healthy weight without some physical activity.
The two work together, so you must fuel your body properly as well as get in some good old fashion exercise
The human body, in itself, is not designed to be over weight or to carry extra baggage. So much of that problem is found in the way we live and the foods we chose to put into our bodies.
Of course there are some situations when medical factors do come into play. And they have a direct effect on our metabolism. However that is probably not the case for most people.
The Fiber Of Life
When we eat food our body does burn calories as that food is digested. However, there are no definitive studies that prove that the digestion of any one food uses more calories that the food itself contains.
Some people may argue that thought, and they often use celery as the example. But that claim has no scientific backing to this point. So that is why we need that all important exercise and activity in our lives to help burn off those extra calories.
Eating vegetables that are high in fiber, which is an indigestible carbohydrate, does force your body to use more calories in the digestion process. Therefore giving you a slightly higher metabolic boost. Also the fiber you consume in your diet may cut back the amount of calories your body absorbs to begin with.
Eating the proper amount of dietary fiber found in vegetables may help fill you up faster than other food choices. They will also keep you feeling full longer because they are harder for your body to digest. As a result they will lead to eating less over all and and allowing our metabolism to work for us.
A great little bonus is that vegetables are rich in active calories allowing you to eat as many as you want, guilt free unlike some other food options.
A Walk In The Garden
Okay so we have covered the basics of metabolism, and we have touched on fiber and calories a little, so now let’s take a look at some vegetables that will give you that slight metabolic boost you are looking for.
While all vegetables contain fiber, and are automatically digested at a slower pace, thus using more calories during the digestion process, some vegetables stand above the rest.
Vegetables That Boost Metabolism
Here is a list of the vegetables that you definitely want in your shopping cart!
- Asparagus – This nutrient powerhouse is one tasty veggie, try it sauteed, steamed or grilled!
- Spinach – This bad boy contains the highest level of protein of all of the leafy greens!
- Hot Peppers – Habaneros, jalapenos, and chipotles all pack high levels of capsaicin, which has the ability to torch belly fat!
- Tomatoes – Is this one a fruit or is it a vegetable? Who Cares! They are low on calories and high on antioxidants!
- Broccoli – Your parents were right, this one is super good for you! It is loaded with the vitamins and minerals you need!
- Chilled Potatoes – Potatoes? Yep! But ya gotta chill them, this turns them into a resistance starch, and that is a good thing!
- Cauliflower – This crunchy cruciferous veggie packs a great thermogenic punch, meaning it is gonna cost the calorie bank!
- Sweet Potatoes – The magic is in the carotenoids, antioxidants that stabilize blood sugar and lower insulin resistance!
- Brussels Sprouts – I know, I know, but these little gems are loaded with nutrients and they will fill you up ,not fill you out!
- Carrots – High in fiber, low in calories, this is like having an ace up you sleeve!
I realize that there are some other vegetables that are a great nutritional source as well as high in fiber and very easily could be on this list. Radishes, squash, zucchini and the list goes on…
That said, you can not go wrong with any vegetables that you may chose to add to your diet. This list is just a starting point, and contains some of the most beneficial veggies in regards to our metabolisms.
Need Some Great Recipe Ideas?
So now you have a starting point on which vegetable to add to your diet that will benefit your metabolism. If you would also like to get some really tasty cooking recipes that were all created to help you boost your metabolism, or more information like this.
I would like to invite you to check out our review of the Metabolic Cooking Cookbook. It is packed with over 250 amazing recopies that will help you achieve your goals for better eating habits and an improved metabolism.
I want to thank you for reading my article on Vegetables That Boost Metabolism. If you have any questions or comments please leave them below and I will respond to you as soon as possible.